No doubt you’ll be aware that the government is implementing a Plastic Packaging Tax, to come into force from 1st April 2022. The initial rate is £200 per tonne.
The purpose of the tax is to promote investment and innovation in the use of recycled content in plastic production. All plastic packaging components that contain 30% or more of eligible recycled content will be exempt from the tax.
Acopia Group is a major importer and supplier of plastic packaging and we are responding to the requirements of this tax in a number of ways:
- Ensuring that we are fully ready for the reporting and payment of the tax, ahead of the implementation date.
- For the past 12 months we have been planning ahead and introducing recycled content into as many products as possible, where it can be done without affecting performance. From this, we created our 30+ Range which all contain a minium of 30% recycled content so look out for this range of tax exempt products.
- Actively innovating with new materials that offer more sustainable solutions for our customers.
- In applications that cannot use recycled content for technical reasons, working to introduce higher performance alternatives that reduce cost and plastic usage.
- Making sure that we understand the detail of the legislation so that we can advise our customers reliably.